March 23, 2005

Bird and Baby

Okay, so we got a little minima css going here...which probably won't last long, I was just wanting something clean, fresh, and standards-compliant. I've been spending some time over at Dave Shea's CSS Zen Garden studying some of the designs...amazing. Some of the designs are messy, hard to read, and hard on the eyes, but others are incredible with typography, layout, color, lighting (how do they code this stuff?) Some really incredible Photoshop affects there, too...

To the point: Ryan Miller's old blog has now been officially closed because the Bird and Baby is officially open (it's under the links section now, because it's not just a blog anymore). It's amazing how much Ryan's been doing over there. The site's divided up into sections now (religion, daily blog, music reviews, suggested reading, a forum, etc). How he has time to do all of this on top of all the work he has to do over at Cyan, I have no clue. Some people must not sleep. Another cool thing is that Josh Staub and a few others also contribute to the site. The whole thing is based around the "Bird and Baby" pub where C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, and other influential thinkers met to discuss various stuff...now it's mimicked online. Great idea, Ry. Great design, too—minimal, clean, and modern. Head over there and check it out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deg said...

CSS is so amazingly powerful. I love the CSS Zen Garden. I just hope IE7 will support CSS2. Let me know if you need any help with your style sheets. ;)

9:14 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Might do that...I still have much to learn. I have to pick up The Zen of CSS Design soon...

The weirdest thing I can't figure out is validation. I picked the White Minima template because it's compliant by XHTML 1.0 Strict, but after adding some extra links and changing my archives to a menu, it's filled with errors...this will take some study. And this is after reading Designing with Web Standards...

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home