April 04, 2005

Powerbook G5

There's been a lot of rumors about an Apple Powerbook G5 showing up for some time now. I've read more posts of people complaining about the modest speed boosts (but no G5 chip) that show up in each Powerbook upgrade than I care to mention (despite the fact of some cool new technology like the disk-locking protection technology, better backlit keyboard, etc.). They want a G5. This is something I've studied up on a little because I'm thinking of buying a either a 12 or 15-inch on the next upgrade, probably in the fall. So will it be a G4 or G5 notebook by that time? Do people really need it? I agree with this guy (despite his grammatical errors, you get the point). I can sacrifice some speed. Give it to me as light and cool as possible. Posted by Hello

3 Comments:

Blogger Deg said...

I want a Mac, but I won't buy one until Half-Life 2 (and any other major gaming title) comes out on Mac.

How are Macs when it comes to upgradability? Price?

7:22 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Upgradability? You mean getting a newer Mac later on? Sounds pretty good in that department. Price? As cheap as $499 for a beautiful little Mac Mini or $999 for an iBook. Not bad (check out the online Apple Store). The PowerBooks are a bit more pricey, when compared to similar pc laptops (but how many of those have the battery life, light weight, back-lit keyboard, hard-drive locking technology, and the Mac's beautiful hardware and OS?). So I say it's worth it. I want Tiger!

As far as gaming, no, there aren't as many titles available as for PC, but a few major titles have are available—Doom 3, Battlefield 1942, Halo, Knights of the Old Republic, and Splinter Cell...not the newest stuff out there, but enough to make me happy. I don't need thousands of games to choose from. I've heard some people complain about the Mac's performance when it comes to games, but I think if you get something a little more higher end it would handle it.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

MacRumors posted the unlikely possiblity of widescreen 14-inch iBooks coming soon. If it had a 1280x854 resolution and a 64mb graphics card, that would be the perfect deal for me. Unlikely, but I can hope...

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home