June 17, 2005

Midst Flying Lead

Things have been quiet here as of late. Part of the reason is the Battlefield 2 demo that came out about a week ago. At 546 MB, it took me awhile to download on a high-speed connection. I installed the Nvidia graphics drivers that came with the demo and skipped on GameSpy arcade (for now). I gave the graphics settings a few tweaks, then gave it a run, only to get about 4 frames a second. Even on high settings, I thought some of the graphical quality was pretty poor compared to the early trailers that had a nearly pre-rendered appearance. After a few more sessions of setting-tweaking, I finally figured it was better to play with everything on low just so I could get a decent framerate than try to get Myst-quality graphics in a FPS. I had figured my system (2GHz 64-bit AMD, 1GB memory, 128 MB Nvidia FX5200 XT) was tough enough for some higher settings, but things have changed and we're back to the "empty your wallet for a new PC" problem. Gamespot has a Hardware Performance Guide up for BF2 that might be worth taking a look at.

Once I got started playing, it seemed just like a modern version of Battlefield 1942. But my initial disillusionment was overwon by the improved physics, cool new gear, and especially the ability to branch up into squads and give your teammates orders. It made the whole experience more personal and interesting. Medics can now also revive teammates in much the same way you've seen in Star Wars: Republic Commando. So if you get shot in the back and you're wounded with 14 seconds left till your next spawn, but you have a medic right behind you, he can put you back into the fight in 2 or 3 seconds. The whole thing was pretty addictive, so I'm guessing online play is a blast, too. It's definately worth grabbing if you're on a high-speed connection and have a system that can handle it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deg said...

I downloaded the demo and haven't been too impressed. For starters, the download should be offered as a two-part download. Maybe I'll enjoy the game more once I figure out how to play and tweak the graphics settings.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Well, if you've never played BF 1942 and you're comparing the graphics to Half-Life 2, no, it's not real impressive at first glance. But once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home